The heartbreaking events of recent weeks have been strong reminders of the inequality that still exists in our nation to this day. The senseless deaths of African Americans, including George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbrey, and many others, highlight a problem that has gone unacknowledged for too long.
Racism in all its forms—structural, systemic, institutional, and interpersonal—is a public health crisis that continues to disproportionately harm and take the lives of people of color. It is time to enact comprehensive reform that eliminates the inherent biases existing in our national infrastructure.
The medical and administrative family at Onsite Neonatal Partners condemns racist and prejudiced ideologies. We stand in solidarity with the African American community in the fight for equity and systemic transformation, and we recommit to be a part of the solution to improve societal norms for people of color.
To start, here are some steps we are taking:
- Supporting the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and Equal Justice Initiative and encouraging others to do the same
- Looking inward at our practices to ensure we continue to emphasize diversity and racial equity
- Initiating serious discussions about how we can do better as individuals and as an organization
- Actively working to add a member to our leadership team to oversee diversity and promote equality
- Reviewing and redistributing our policies to communicate our values to team members and partners
We know these shifts in our practice will bring about lasting change and positively impact the care we provide to our patients and families across the country.
We support the communities who are currently giving voice to their frustration, fear, and anger through protest, and pray everyone is mindful to practice social distancing and wear masks. COVID-19 remains a concern and we want everyone to stay safe and healthy while practicing their right to freedom of speech.
Racial injustice is a complex issue, and we know it will take time to see real healing and resolution. However, we believe that through collaboration and conviction, we can create a future where these recent events are no longer the norm. We must each continue to educate ourselves and lean into difficult conversations in order to reclaim the humanity our systems lack. Let us all—now and forever—join together to ensure equality and justice for all.